When app is loaded on your mobile devise, sign up for the “Life-Journal” reading plan
Meeting Him Face to Face
What are we doing that is so important that we don’t have time to do the ONE THING that Jesus says is needed…to sit at His feet listening and experiencing the joy of a relationship with Him? There is no greater joy, than the joy of being in His presence.
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence
there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Psalm 16:11
To take Jesus seriously, and actually sit at His feet in real time in real life, at Good Shepherd we’ve embraced reading through the Bible in an approach that we call Face to Face. It’s a way of reading through all of God’s Word every year.
We encourage you to join us as we read the Bible relationally to meet Him Face to Face.
“This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.” (John 17:3)
How to spend time Face to Face
There is no “one-size-fits-all” when it comes to journaling. It will look different from person to person, so do what works best for you!
- Bible: Get your Bible, whichever translation fits best for you (English Standard Version (ESV), New American Standard Bible (NASB95), New International Version (NIV), etc).
- Notebook/Pen: Then pair your Bible with something to record your thoughts, this could be any type of notebook (nothing fancy required!) or even your computer and get started!
SOAP– A practical Guide to Reading and Journaling
Scripture – As you read through a section of scripture, zero in on one specific passage that strikes you in a special way. Make this passage the focal point for reflection.
Observation – What do you observe about this key passage? What is God saying in His Word? What are your thoughts about what you observe?
Application – In light of what God says in this passage, what is He calling you to do in response? This may be obvious or it may take some serious consideration. Take the step to be a doer of God’s Word, and not just a hearer (James 1:22).
Prayer – As you have heard God speak to you, respond by speaking back to Him. Ask Him to open your eyes. Thank Him for speaking to you. Ask Him for strength to respond rightly to His truth.
Adapted from The Divine Mentor by Wayne Cordeiro, Chapter 7
20/20/20 – A Practical Guide to Practicing Face to Face
- Meet with a group of people. After opening in prayer, spend the first 20 minutes reading through the assigned passages as individuals.
- After you have all read, spend the next 20 minutes journaling, following the SOAP principles.
- Finally, spend the final 20 minutes sharing with one another how you met with God and how He spoke to you. You can read your journal or sum up your thoughts.
Adapted from The Divine Mentor by Wayne Cordeiro, Chapter 10