“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” ~ Matthew 6:19-21
Ways to Give
There are a number of ways you can give:
Giving through our app is easier than ever! Download the free Church Center app for iPhone or Android by clicking one of the links below.
Giving online is simple, secure and easy! Click on the button below to give to Good Shepherd Community Church.
You can give from your mobile device via text message. Just text the amount to 84321.
You can drop off cash or checks at the Good Shepherd Community Church office. You can also mail in your checks to:
Good Shepherd Community Church
28986 SE Haley Rd
Boring, Oregon 97009
Secured Offering Boxes
As an act of worship, you may place your offering in the offering boxes in the back of the South and North auditoriums and foyer entrances during any of our worship services.
Other Ways to Give
- Qualified Charitable Distribution from your IRA. IRA owners over age 70 1/2 can make nontaxable distributions up to $100,000. See information on Qualified Charitable Distributions here.
- Naming the church as a beneficiary in your life insurance, retirement assets, wills, or trusts.
- Donation of stock. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-663-5050 and we will provide you with information for Good Shepherd’s brokerage account.
What Can I Give to?
Our general philosophy is that all giving goes to the General Fund of Good Shepherd. This fund is directed by the annual budget that our Elders approve each year (Note: we operate on a July – June fiscal year). Generally, funds cannot be given to a specific department or ministry. There are a few exceptions, but these are usually related to scholarship accounts, short-term team missions, benevolence giving, a few special projects and special offerings that the Elders have approved.
We are very careful to comply with all IRS giving and donation receipting regulations for churches. If you would like a detailed list of the funds you can give to at Good Shepherd, click What Can I Give to?
If you have visited one of our worship services, you may have noticed that we do not have a weekly offering. Except for special occasions, we do not take offerings during our worship services but have secured offering boxes that are located in the back of the South & North Auditoriums and foyer entrances.
There are a couple reasons:
- We desire those who call Good Shepherd their church home to make their giving a planned and willful decision.
- We want our guests to experience the worship service and not feel any pressure to give. Even when we have special offerings, we always let our guests know that they may feel free to let the offering plate pass.
What is Good Shepherd’s Philosophy on Giving?
- We believe that each believer should give regularly (1 Cor. 16:2), sacrificially (2 Cor. 8:2-3), and cheerfully (2 Cor. 9:6-8) to the Lord. The tithe (10%) has been a consistent starting point (like “training wheels”) for God’s people going all the way back to Abraham in the Old Testament (Gen. 14:20) and also mentioned by Jesus Himself in the New Testament (Matt. 23:23). We all need to seek the Lord, start somewhere, and grow more and more as we honor the Lord with our wealth and the first fruits of all that He provides (Proverbs 3:9). It is not how much we give, but it is the heart behind our giving that matters most.
- We believe the local church should be the first place that our giving is directed. There are hundreds of excellent organizations that we highly encourage people to give to, but this should be above and beyond and after first giving regularly, sacrificially, and cheerfully to the local church body.
- Download this short article on Biblical Giving – Click Here
What are Good Shepherd’s Special Offerings?
We have three to four special offerings each year. The special offering projects are approved by our Elders and are generally administered by our Outreach Ministry.
Sanctity of Human Life Offering
In late January/early February, we take an offering to support pro-life work in our community.
Global Outreach Offering
An offering is taken in early June that is directed toward Outreach, Bible Translation, Evangelism and Leadership Training around the Word. These funds are above the budgeted monthly support of our Global Outreach staff. Giving to this fund is limited by specific dates.
In November we take an offering that focuses on the physical and humanitarian needs around the Globe, remembering the poor, needy, oppressed, rejected, destitute, abandoned and marginalized of our world. As with our Global Outreach offering, these projects are usually partnered with our Global Outreach staff or well-established partner ministries. Giving to this fund is open year round.
At the end of each calendar year, we have an offering that is Elder directed. As Good Shepherd grows along with the population of East County, we want to be a launching place of ministry.
1 John 3:16-18
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.